Skip to main content

Announcement: Fire at AK Press

In case folks haven't heard, AK Press, one of the long-standing leftist indie publishers in North America, has just suffered a major fire to its warehouse.  This means that much of its stock will be damaged and, since it relies on moving this stock to function, also means it needs support.

Although it seems as if AK is known primarily for publishing anarchist material, it also publishes and/or distributes a lot of marxist/marxish books.  For example, it publishes Harry Cleaver's excellent Reading Capital Politically; it also distributes my book.  Aside from this, however, I happen to be a marxist who believes there is a lot of value in many anarchist texts for a variety of reasons.  I treasure what I have learned from past AK titles, even if my politics has changed since they found a beloved spot on my bookshelves.  Moreover, many will probably be aware, it is difficult for an independent anti-capitalist press to sustain itself in these days of corporate publishing syndicates, Amazon.com, and a shrinking population of independent bricks-and-mortar stores.

For anyone interested in supporting AK Press, the details of the situation can be found here.

Comments

  1. Do you think there can be a synthesis of Maoism and Anarchism, similar to the Mao Spontex of May 68, or the Zapatistas? Maybe this is the way forward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure precisely what you mean, or why there needs to be a synthesis. Nor do I think the Zapatistas are a synthesis of maoism/anarchism since they have repeatedly claimed that they are their own type of indigenist ideology. The way forward, in my opinion, is MLM because this is the only theoretical terrain that is still a live option. As I have argued before, most notably in my book, just inventing ideological syntheses and exciting new theories just because is utopian: revolutionary theory develops through history, through the successes and failures established by previous world historical revolutions.

      Delete

Post a Comment