Skip to main content

A Child Being Born = Blogging Delay

It has been six days since my last post which is something of a long gap for me––for the past year I've been pretty good at posting every three or four days, even if I post utterly random shit.  This time, the reason for my six day hiatus was that my partner, after hours of excruciating pain, gave birth to our daughter on Monday night.  As you can imagine, I wasn't really in the frame of mind in the weekend leading up to her active labour and the days following to do very much except concentrate on this event.

Although I generally don't use this blog to talk about my personal life, and don't plan to make a habit of this anytime soon, I felt that I should at least post some news to commemorate baby Samiya's torturous emergence into this cruel capitalist world on Monday, September 17, 2012.  Torturous for her and definitely torturous for my partner, once again confirming that the late Shulamith Firestone was correct when she wondered why it should be necessary for half of the human species to endure torture so that the entire species could prolong its existence.  Since we had a home birth, and I was present at the delivery of Samiya, I have now empirically verified that labour and delivery is terribly painful and am glad for my cis-male privilege in this regard.

Here she is!  Look at that crazy head of hair!

Anyhow, now I have a child with two x chromosomes who, if and when they decide otherwise, will be classified as she by everyone who meets her.  Socialization has already begun with some family members talking about princesses and ballerinas and all that crap that we do not want but will end up getting despite our wishes and will be trying to fight her entire life. (As I said to my mother-in-law, why the hell should we want our child to be a princess when princesses should all be guillotined along with every monarchy?  Yes, Samiya will know about the Terrors!)  This is one of the hazards about having a child with double-x chromosomes in this day and age; hopefully, though, our daughter will grow up to be a little red guard.

Moreover, with some other commie internet comrade dads I am going to blog about red parenting on a blog called Red Diaper Dads that will be launched as soon as the more senior dads get their shit together, contribute, and provide the first post(s) [yes, this is pressure you guys––you know who you are, lol!].  Until then, however, here is Samiya and hopefully all you internet lefties will welcome this representative of the next generation of revolutionaries into the world.

Comments

  1. CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Your daughter is very beautiful (and the chosen one -- all hail the birth of future leader ha ha)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She will create new stage of revolutionary communism: Marxism-Leninism-Maoism, principally Samiya Thought!

      Delete
  2. Yay for Samiya! I have something to bring by for her (it is fairly gender neutral, but still very sassy).

    I'm looking forward to hearing from the Red Diaper Dads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, gender neutral plus sassy equals awesome. I am also looking forward to hearing from Red Diaper Dads... if only the other two dads would do their stuff so we can launch the blog (hint hint again dads who are reading this).

      Delete
  3. Congratulations to you, your partner and of course to Samiya! "Lal Salaam! The world is ours!" as the comrades in India would say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats!
    As a fellow father, I just have to say that my daughter is not a princess either! (Although, it's almost impossible to get away from pink!) Anyways, I'm happy that my wife got a epidural, the birth itself took only 2 hours or so after they gave it to her, and she was relaxed (ok, as relaxed as a woman in labour could be) and relatively easy after, (and especially as during her first pregnancy they didn't give her an epidural and it took forever and was an agony for her!). It was an amazing process, which I could only barely participate in -although, I did get to cut the chord and hold my daughter right after- and only the beginning, so strap in!

    ps my daughter's second birthday is tomorrow, so reading your blog tonight was sweet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy 2nd Birthday to your daughter! I can't wait until we get there…

      Delete
  5. Greetings Comrade Samiya from 10km down(and blasting).

    All the best to you Comrade J.

    RRH

    A Red Diaper Dad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey RRH, I haven't heard from you in a while! Thanks for the greetings to my daughter from all the way underground!

      Delete

Post a Comment